What is the history of AUX and AUXLAB?

bjkwon

What is the history of AUX and AUXLAB?

Post by bjkwon » September 27th, 2018, 12:01 am

I had thought about the need for a intuitive yet comprehensive specification of audio signals in various experiments in software for a long time (since some time in the 90's when I was working toward my PhD, if not earlier). Based on the experience in research software development I had gained while working for Cochlear Americas, I began developing a program for psychoacoustic experiments that supported two frequently used psychophysical paradigms--adaptive procedure and the method of constant stimuli (circa 2005). But I didn't want to limit the possibility of signals to be specified in this software. So I came up with some syntax rules which became the basis of AUX later. The psychoacoustic software became Psycon later. The earlier versions of Psycon were alpha- and beta-tested by myself, a few colleagues of mine and the students of the University of Utah while I taught there. At one point I tried to sell Psycon for profit but it was not so successful. Then I really wanted to help others who might benefit from this, decided to release it freely to public and made a name for the scripting language (AUX) in later 2009. I incorporated other programs that I had been using for my research (Echo, Token and SeaCRM) with AUX and continually improve software features since then. In Nov 2011, a manuscript about AUX and Psycon was published online in Behavioral Research Methods This paper is Open Access.

AUX evolved even further into AUXLAB in 2016. Instead of having multiple software packages, AUX would run in an integrative software environment and several modules for specific tasks would be loaded into the environment. Therefore, AUXLAB was developed as a new software package consolidating all the other AUX-based software. Although the effort began as an attempt to emulate MATLAB features, as initial versions of AUXLAB were released, it has proven to be distinct from MATLAB as its software design was deeply immersed with concepts specific to audio.