What is AUX? What is AUXLAB?

bjkwon

What is AUX? What is AUXLAB?

Post by bjkwon » September 26th, 2018, 10:28 pm

AUX (AUdio syntaX; also formerly known as AUditory syntaX) is a computer programming language designed to generation and processing of audio signals.

AUXLAB is a stand-alone software application featuring an integrative computing environment of audio signals (and other signals, too). The user types in AUX codes in a system console window, a line interpreter. Upon the successful execution, the results are assigned to the specified variable(s), displayed on a plot window, or played back in the specified audio devices. In addition, a separate window displays the variables created in the workspace for easy visualization and management of data, another window showing the history of all AUX codes typed in, yet another window appears on demand for debugging user defined functions. A separate module can be loaded to allow the user to create their own custom graphic user interface.

Does AUXLAB sound like something? You betcha... MATLAB!

I won't deny that I followed the inspiration from MATLAB during the early days of syntax design of AUX and the basic framework of AUXLAB. However, there are numerous differences and some concepts of AUXLAB are fundamentally distinct, such as the audio signal as a datatype, like a constant, vector, string, cell or class. Besides, there are many sophisticated features in AUXLAB regarding audio processing and playback, for its namesake, of course, not conceptually possible in MATLAB, so hold your judgment.

I almost forgot---AUXLAB is open source software; therefore, it's free.